Murder We Write

Murder We Write
SinC CCC members pose for a photo for the chapter's anthology

Friday, January 9, 2009

KINDLE ME THIS By Sunny Frazier

Everything I hear about Kindle seems to be a one-way street. This $359 gadget will replace books. I know I won't be able to afford one until the price comes way down. I'm the type who loses cell phones and digital cameras.

What I'm not hearing is what is most important to me as a writer. For the first time I can conceptualize, execute and publish my work any way I choose. I don't have to pay anyone and Amazon assures me I will get a good share of the profits.

So, I did it. I took seven flash mysteries and put them together. I followed the download instruction at the Amazon.com Digital Text Platform. I messed up a little, so two downloads show up on Amazon (I'm still trying to figure out how to delete from the site). I titled it “Over in a Flash.” It sells for $1.40.
Next, I'm going to have a picture taken of me flashing in a raincoat—from the back!

What if it doesn't sell? I'm out nothing but my time. All of my work has been published before and I have my rights back. Those stories aren't making me money collected on a flash drive. I've also done a bit of detective work to find ways to let Kindle owners know I exist.

My mind is going into overdrive with ideas of other projects I want to tackle: a collection of longer stories, my Caribbean poetry, and my novel FOOLS RUSH IN.

Kindle can be a two-way street. I wonder how long it will take writers to figure this out?

No comments: